Topband: vert & beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: vert & beverages
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 22:03:38 -0500
> stimulate some thought. No doubt it has been tried before. This could
> also be implemented using 300 ohm twin lead instead of coax.

I wrote an article in the early 80's describing how to use coax, twin
lead, or any other transmission line to make a Reflection Beverage. I
had a similar article in Communications Quarterly. The point of both
was you could use almost any transmission line if impedances of
transformers were adjusted. Certainly that would apply to coax,
although you would have to be careful about voltage distribution at
each end.

I have used 300 ohm twinlead and 450 ohm ladder line with equally
good results, and coax wouldn't be a problem either.

On 160 meters (or anywhere below UHF) virtually all transmission line
losses are related only to conductor resistance...not the dielectric.
Keeping that in mind, any thin small conductor could be both
electrical and mechanical problems.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com