Topband: ANC-4 noise canceller

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ANC-4 noise canceller
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 16:38:30 -0500
At 11:43 AM 12/3/02 -0500, Tom Rauch wrote:
>The reason for this advice is simple. I've measured both (along with
>the canceller from W1FB) and the MFJ by far has much better amplitude
>and phase control. In addition, it is basically gain neutral. It
>neither adds nor removes a significant amount of signal level.

This inspires me to ask a question, the answer to which I should probably
know.  Suppose that the noise source is something like an arcing electric
fence, where the RF is being generated at one location but propagates both
directly to my RX and also down the fence line, from which it radiates as
well.  Since the velocity factor of the fence wire is presumably different
from open air, wouldn't this lead to some spreading in the phase of the
interfering signal, limiting the effective cancellation that can be achieved?

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower