Topband: Beverage Wire

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage Wire
From: k1jj@snet.net (Tom Cathey)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:37:02 -0400
Hi Bill,

I use #14 stranded and insulated (PVC coated) spools of wire from Home Depot
costing $12.77 / 500' spool. (Electrical Supply dept)   - hard to beat that
price.. :-)

This is single wire electrical house wiring. Black, brown or green is good
for the woods.

#14 or #12 will usually handle the abuse of fallen limbs and ice storms.  I
use gray electrical plastic  3/4" pcv pipe cut into 5" lengths as bev
insulators with a small piece of rope tied to the tree on one end -  and a
6" piece of solid copper on the other end of each insulator wound around the
beverage wire to support it. Easy to install with these twist wraps rather
than threading thru all the insulators.  If  the beverage breaks, it's easy
to unravel the twist wrap and repair .

73,
Tom, K1JJ
CT