Topband: Coupling between bev and other antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Coupling between bev and other antennas
From: k9uwa@arrl.net (John K9UWA)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 19:45:22 -0500
> If the front end gets "blewn out", is it readily apparent when listening?

I didn't notice it at first on my IC-765 ...but then I was always using the
radio
on 160 meters....as soon as it was put up on 10 meters....the noticably
reduced gain of the radio was apparent......
By the way....NONE of the radio manufacturers actually shut off the receivers
when the radio is in transmit mode....by using the added rcvr input with a
beverage or any other recieve only antenna you run the risk of killing the
front end of the radio.....
Can't answer the question about the output transistors....but once mine
killed the keyer chip in the radio....no idea how that happened....when you
put a large amount of RF into the receiver....guess most anything can happen.

Shameless plug here.....
The "Fix" is to either buy one of those Front End Savers from Gary KD9SV
or else build your own....they can be viewed here on my web site.....
http://johnJeanAntiqueRadio.com/gary.htm
John k9uwa

John Goller, K9UWA & Jean Goller, N9PXF
Antique Radio Restorations