Topband: Shunt feeding a tower with side mounted yagi

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Shunt feeding a tower with side mounted yagi
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 07:52:16 -0700
Tom, W8JI wrote:

'While "shield" may be a poor choice of words, a large yagi or yagis
mounted low on a shunt-fed tower can have a detrimental effect on system
efficiency if they are large enough or enough of them. I prefer to think
of it as "robbing" the upper part of the antenna of current.'
Let me restate my previous statement -- "Contrary to the belief of many,
a beam located at a lower level on the tower does not shield any top
indeed did mean "shield", because that is the term used by many of the
"many".

I also agree with Tom that 160m current distribution could be altered
such by the low-mounted beam to be detrimental.

73, de Earl, K6SE