Topband: All PSK31 Enthusiasts

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: All PSK31 Enthusiasts
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 16:36:12 -0400
> I'm sure I'll get my proverbial t-t in the ringer for this, but don't you
> think it would be prudent to find another frequency for PSK activity on
> top band?  I can only speak for myself, and PSK is a great new mode, but
> 1824 would not seem to be the best place to exercise it.

The main problem with PSK-31 in weak signal areas is how the TX
signal is generated!

The PSK signal is generated by feeding a low level audio signal
from a soundblaster card into the audio input of a transceiver
operating on SSB.

Any hum, noise, unwanted sideband energy, harmonic distortion,
or even the less-than-perfect carrier suppression on the SSB
transmitter make it less-than-ideal in spectral purity.

If the soundblaster card has any harmonic distortion at all, if the
leads to the rig pick up any hum or have ground loops, if the
transceiver has any noise or harmonic distortion anywhere in it, or
if the transceiver has the slightest amount of filter blow-by or lacks
perfect carrier suppression...it could cause a problem on many
frequencies.

If we "pick" a frequency PSK...for technical reasons...it certainly
belongs several kHz away from weak signal areas.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com