Fw: Re: Topband: 160 meter DX window question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: Re: Topband: 160 meter DX window question
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 19:17:31 -0700
Paul, N0AH, wrote:

"1.830-1.835MHz is suppose to be a DX window, right?"
==========
That's right, but unfortunately the use of a DX window is subject to
different interpretations by some.

I think the problem stems from some 160-meter contest rules which state
that "1.830 to 1.835 MHz is reserved for intercontinental QSOs only".
This is a bad way to phrase it because it gives some the impression that
anyone (including a USA station) may call "CQ DX" in that segment to
initiate an intercontinental QSO.

Stew Perry, W1BB started the "DX window" idea many years ago.  He meant
it to be a window that USA hams would keep clear for non-USA DX stations
to call "CQ" in order to initiate a DX QSO with a USA station.  The DX
window provided the USA station with a frequency segment in which to
listen that would be free of "local" QRM.

I abide by the "rule" as Stew intended it to be, and I wish everyone else
would, too, especially with the present huge population of USA
Topbanders.

I feel (as I believe most others do) the "rule" means "DX QSOs" rather
than "Intercontinental QSOs".  Certainly a KL7/W1 QSO is DX on Topband,
and I'm sure that noone would object to the KL7 if he called "CQ DX" in
that segment, even though he is a North American USA station.  I also
wouldn't object if 4U1UN in New York City called CQ in the window.

73, de Earl, K6SE

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.