Topband: Need advice: Hy-Tower on 160, and radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Need advice: Hy-Tower on 160, and radials
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 17:48:21 -0500
W7MY wrote:

>The Hytower has one nasty problem on 160. If you run
>more than 200 watts with the recomended base loading
>coil arrangement, you will fry the insulators between
>the tower and the 50' whip.

I solved that problem in the past by using Teflon tubing
instead of that supplied by HyGain.  Teflon tubing of that
size is not an inexpensive item, however.  Moving the
coil to the top of the wire (more inductance is required
there) "felt" better but probably didn't help my signal much.

73,  Bill     K0HA
(One of these days I'll declare myself back on MF/HF)