Topband: Need advice: Hy-Tower on 160, and radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Need advice: Hy-Tower on 160, and radials
From: genewill@ordata.com (Gene Alan Williamson C.)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 13:43:08 -0700
        I'll soon be the second owner of a long-coveted Hy-Tower in fine
condition. I'm certain I can get docs off the net, but I'm interested in
real-world suggestions for the best radial system ... particularly elevated
radials, if those can be made to work well when this antenna is
ground-mounted. In the past on 40m, I've brought radials up from the ground
at about a 60deg angle, then run them out horizontally some five feet off
the ground.

        I think there is (was?) a 160m loading coil attachment for the Hy-
Tower, but I suspect it would be necessary to lengthen the top "stinger" or
add some sort of top-hat arrangement for decent Topband performance. This
undoubtedly will be the best 80m antenna I'll ever have on my small city
lot, and I would hope to run about 750w CW to it on 160m as well.

TU!
73 Gene N7YW (ex-K7DBV)                    <genewill@ordata.com>