Topband: Stew Perry

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Stew Perry
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 08:09:33 +0800
G'day all,

It has been reading the comments on this year's Stew Perry TBDC Contest,
which have so far been mainly from a North American perspective.

A few observations from the most geographically isolated capital city in
the world (Perth):

1.  QRP may well be the best way to attempt to win the Stew Perry from
North America, but it sure doesn't sound much FUN to try and win it using
QRP from North America.  My friend Tom W8JI sounds as though he didn't have
much FUN using QRP this year and it seems to me that he might have enjoyed
himself more using LP (Low Power).

2.  Isolated DX stations like myself would selfishly like everyone from
North America to run at least Low Power, because we can actually work more
(some) of you in this FUN contest.  However, if it is more FUN for you to
run QRP in the contest (and try and work us DX with this, of course) your
right is respected to do so. Of course, you have more chance to work the DX
if you use LP/HP - which could mean more FUN for you too.

3.  I have a lot more FUN in the Stew Perry TBDC than in any other 160m
contest by far.  This is because I know that if the propagation conditions
are just right for me and I operate well, I actually have a chance to
finish in the top ten.  It is also FUN because until I have actually
finished the contest and see the final results, I have little idea who the
winner will be, but it will be someone from the place that had the best
conditions and who operated to make the best of these conditions (and who
had lots of FUN doing this).

4.  A contest that actually gives someone a chance to win from the place
that had the best conditions and who operated to make the best of these
conditions is really FUN FUN because it is unique.  Every other contest I
know  tends to reward those from particular areas or with particularly huge
stations and antenna systems, almost regardless of conditions.

5. If the conditions are right, it really doesn't take a 'gain antenna'
such as a four square to 'win' the Stew Perry TBDC.  GM3POI has won it
overall twice using a squashed vertically polarised delta loop with the
apex around 100'.  I used a squashed-up inverted vee dipole at 90' at the
apex. I suggest these would be regarded by most serious contesters as FUN
antennas, not serious ones for 160m contesting.

5.  The Stew Perry TBDC is the most FUN I have in contesting for the last
three years by far (I missed the first one).  Long may it continue and
thanks to Tree, Lew and the Boring gang for making it so.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ