Topband: TopBand Receivers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: TopBand Receivers
From: 4x4nj@iname.com (R. Kline)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 06:39:45 +0100
I used the R4C with Sherwood mods (+ some others) for 25 years, and just
very recently upgraded to a FT-1000D.  After doing extensive comparisons, I
can say that neither receiver is better than the other.  Sometimes I thought
one might be a hair better, but then at other times the other one was
better.  The problem that I had with my R4C was that evidently, over the
years, tuned circuits had deteriorated, and even with new tubes it was
getting more and more difficult to keep its performance up. The instant QSY
capability of the FT-1000D together with the 2nd internal receiver and its
200W of rf (the old T4XC only put out about 120W) are especially attractive.
I had asked a lot of leading topbanders what their preference was, and most
chose the FT-1000D.  I might add that the Omni-6+ was a serious contender -
I had compared one side by side with my R4C. To make things fair, I used the
Timewave DSP-59+ with the R4C as the Omni had built in DSP.  I found the 2
receivers quite identical while receiving extremely weak signals. I decided
against the Omni because of its reputed bad reliability - even though the
service is excellent, changing boards without question, etc.,  I wanted a
rig that I could depend upon.  Also, no 2nd receiver, and the power was a
bit low (my amplifier likes about 150 watts).  In conclusion, the modified
R4C is an excellent 2nd receiver - probably the best that is reasonably
available. Mine (together with the T4XC transmitter) is still the standbye
rig here sitting right next to the FT-1000D.
73, Riki, 4X4NJ