Topband: strange band

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: strange band
From: kl7y@alaska.net (Dan Robbins)
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:02:52 +0000
Earlier I posted an observation that in some cases there were tremendous
differences in signal strengths for stations in the same area during the
first night of the CQ 160 SSB contest.  I listed some of the stations
and wondered if there was a common denominator in antennas or location
that could cause the disparity in signal strength.

The answer is NO.  After some research and a few e-mails, it seems like
almost all of the stations I heard were using large verticals with
fairly extensive ground radials.  So I have to wonder why K9NR can be 4
S units louder than WB9Z?  They both have similar antenna systems and
live something like 100 miles from each other on good, flat Illinois
farmland.  WB9Z is normally the loudest 9 up here, so it looks like the
vast differences in signal strength were due entirely to propagation,
not some wild antenna or unbelievable QTH.  Still, the fact that signal
levels differed by 10 to 20 dB over a short distance is most
fascinating.  On Top Band Mother Nature can get whimsical.

                                                    Dan KL7Y