Topband: JA 160 meter band

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: JA 160 meter band
From: z.pitman@libertel.nl (z.pitman@libertel.nl)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:35:50 +0100
Bernie et al,

Let me respectfully disagree.

In my opinion, primarily the JA CW segment should be expanded further and
the creation of a SSB segment should have a much lower (e.g the lowest)
priority.

Considering the distances from Japan to any major population area CW is the
mode, which offers real chance to make topband contacts for the MAJORITY. I
have no doubt that SSB is possible from JA to other parts of the world on
Topband, but considering the ratio between the bandwidth what a "DX-capable"
station occupies and the available bandwidth on Topband, furthermore the
technical prerequisites of such a contact I do believe that SSB to and from
JA would offer a real chance to a very MINORITY of Topband DXers only.

In my opinion the goal should be to provide access i.e. sufficient Topband
bandwidth for as many people as possible in order to further improve the
activity and the popularity of this mystic band. Therefore if I had a vote,
it would go for a "CW only Topband" solution.

73 & gl

Zoli HA1AG (E44/HA1AG, JT1X, JU1HA etc)

Ps> Next week i can read emails only from ha1ag@compuserve.com, so if you
want to respond please cc it there.