Topband: JA 160 meter band

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: JA 160 meter band
From: bernie@dailydx.com (Bernie McClenny)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 18:09:16 +0000
Dear Contesters and DXers,

As you may know, Japan's MPT announced earlier this month that the 160 meter
band for Japanese amateurs will be expanded.  I am very excited about the
news.  The 160 meter band in Japan now has 5kHz and only CW is allowed on the
band.  It has been very difficult for both Japanese DXers and DXers outside of
Japan to work each other because of the small DX window on the band.

According to the Ministry's announcement, effective April 1st this year,
additional 15kHz, i.e. from 1810 kHz to 1825 kHz, will be allocated for
amateur radio use.  The announcement, however, did not mention if additional
modes would be allowed on the band.  The announcement is available in the
Japanese language at
http://www.mpt.go.jp/top/public-comment/public-comment000207.html.  It states
that the Ministry welcomes any comments concerning its proposal.

I would like to propose the following to the Ministry:
1) All modes should be allowed on the 160 meter band; and
2) SSB should be allowed during daytime hours only except during major DX
contests.

Let me explain what I want to achieve.  First, Japanese contesters will be
able to participate in major phone DX contests such as the ARRL DX Contest and
the World Wide DX Contest.  Japanese contesters have been frustrated because
we cannot participate in such contests.  And contesters outside of Japan have
shared the same frustration.  Two, the limited phone use on the band is
inevitable because I believe that
Japanese DXers need to share the band with Japanese non-DXers.

I would appreciate it if you could contact the MPT to support my proposal and
voice your views regarding the proposed band expansion.  The MPT wants to
receive our comments no later than March 7.  When you write to them please be
sure to include your name, mailing address, and phone number.

MPT
Email:  ax00010@mpt.go.jp
Fax:  81-3-3504-4048
Phone:  81-3-3504-4875

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.  Please feel free to
forward this email to your fellow DXers and Contesters.  Thank you very much
for your help.  Look forward to talking to you on 160 m SSB soon.

73,

Toshi Kusano, JA1ELY