TopBand: "Best" Receiver for 160 Work

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: "Best" Receiver for 160 Work
From: wd4jra@planttel.net (John Vickers)
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 14:54:42 -0500
Earl wrote:
>the comments I heard from a number of OMNI VI+ owners made it sound like
>they often had to send their rigs into Ten-Tec for repair.  Whether the
>service is fast or slow doesn't matter to me if the failure rate is high.

Hi Earl es All
Have a 1993 model Omni 6 here. only time its been back to the factory was to
be upgraded to the 6+. I also use Collins R390A,  75A4, and Drake R4C
(sherwood mods) on 160.  My  test equipment consist of only my ears and the
results are the QSOs in my log. Hi

My location has a very bad HV noise problem with the lowest reading being S7
in the past 2 yrs. For weeks at a time its run as high as 30dB / S9 and the
average being about 5dB over.  The Omni seems to do as well as the others in
conjunction with a MFJ 1026, considering the large amount of noise.

Personally, I believe Ten Tecs reputation for having excellent customer
service may actually hurt ----- because thats one of the first things
normally said by their customers----- whether they've sent their rig back or
not !!

Sure wish I had the technical ability to build a REAL  TopBand  receiver.
For the time being I'm looking for another QTH far away from this 400 KV
plus Xmission lines less than 4 wave lengths from my shack.
73 John WA4TT