TopBand: "Best" Receiver for 160 Work

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: "Best" Receiver for 160 Work
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 02:45:53 EST
On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:43:54 -0600 Nelson Moyer
<ku0a@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu> writes:
"After using an FT707 (no 160) since 1981, I'm finally able to get a new
radio. The short list, based upon max. available funds for rig, PS and
filters (approx. $3000 plus or minus 300) is down to the TS870S, IC756,
FT1000MP and Omni-VI Plus.  I'd be interested in any comments or
recommendations on the receivers in these rigs for 160 and 80 meter use.

"From what I've read about synthesized receivers and noise floor,
relative to weak signal work, the Omni-VI Plus looks good. Any Omni users
on 160 out there?"
=====
Avoid the IC-756.  I bought one, tried it a few days before it crapped
out on 40m.  Also was very disappointed with its performance.  Sent it
back to the dealer and paid a few hundred more for the FT-1000MP.  Am
very satisfied with it, especially after installing the $48 INRAD mod
which improved the noise floor about 4 dB (now better than the OMNI VI+
claims, per INRAD's claims).

I have compared the IC-756, TS-870S, TS-830S, FT-1000MP and IC-775DSP
receivers with each other for weak signal 160m (and 10m)  work and rate
them as follows (from best to worst):

     1) FT-1000MP with InRad mod
     2) TS-830S & TS-870S (tie)
     3) FT-1000MP without the InRad mod
     4) IC-775DSP
     5) IC-756

Many comments heard from OMNI VI+ owners that are "so delighted by the
fast service they get every time they send their rig in for repair" made
me shy away from that one, hi.  No doubt a good rig, but I guess I'm
old-fashioned in my desire for reliability.

73, Happy New Year, de Earl, K6SE

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]