TopBand: Grid Square Look up site?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Grid Square Look up site?
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 12:19:10 -0500
I have a question.

> My personal feeling is that those are not valid QSO's. The rules say:
>
> "4. Exchange: Four character grid square (i.e. CN85)"
>
> That means the exchange (as short as it is) during the QSO--what you
> copied--not a fill-in afterwards. Bad break that the guys you worked
> were not with the program.

YV1NX gave me his QTH and ASKED me to look up his grid square for him. I
sent his grid square to him since he had no idea what it was and how to
look it up.

HR1LW also informed me he had no idea how to calculate his grid square, and
gave me his QTH after plainly stating he had no idea how to find it out.

IMHO, if the station (neither who is in my Callbook program) has no idea
what his grid square is and has no way to find it out, and instead gives a
QTH (the Yv1's QTH was a Spanish name about ten letters long) and requests
I supply the info to or for him, it should be a valid contact.

I plan on putting a note in my log, and telling the contest people what
happened in those QSO's.

IMHO, this contest is supposed to a fun DX challenge in the honor of one of
the nicest 160 operators that ever existed. I see no reason to exclude two
stations who wanted to participate but who unfortunately had no access to
their grid squares..especially since they specifically asked me to look up
their squares for them and gave their entire QTH description.

If they get tossed out of my log, big deal. I still would have worked 'em
anyway so they could have some fun.

73 Tom