TopBand: Grid Square Look up site?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Grid Square Look up site?
From: ni6t@best.com (Garry & Yelena)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 21:19:31 -0800
John Mitchell wrote:

> Apologies if this was covered before here, but does anyone have info on an
> internet site that will give grid squares for international cities?  A
> couple people called in during SP from Carib and SA who give cities but
> didn't know their Grids.  Thanks to all for the QSOs.  Score later when I
> compute it.
>
> 73,
> John K4IQ

John:

My personal feeling is that those are not valid QSO's. The rules say:

"4. Exchange: Four character grid square (i.e. CN85)"

That means the exchange (as short as it is) during the QSO--what you
copied--not a fill-in afterwards. Bad break that the guys you worked
were not with the program.

A JA answered my CQ in the Contest--very loud, but did not grok my
request for a grid square. I erased him. An hour later, he found me and
gave me his square, with "sri"--he had figured out what was going on and
joined the fun. The second Q was real.

Just my opinion...

--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
160 meters: not a band, but an obsession