TopBand: post-contest lucky catch

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: post-contest lucky catch
From: jzaimes@wilmingt.gannett.com (jzaimes@wilmingt.gannett.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:11:00 -0500
After spending 40-plus hours in the CQ WW CW at W3PP (on 20 meters), I
was a
bit pooped and ready for a good nights sleep Sunday night. Fortunately I
took
the time to set up my TS940 again after returning it from the
multi-multi
station. I was planning on setting the alarm for sunrise to stalk the
needed
Asian countries that have been active.

I had just about turned in but came back out to the shack for something,
and
out of habit checked the packet screen. There was a callout from Frank,
WB3AVN, for A61AJ on 1833, with a note that Bernie was weak.

Flipped on the rig and the amp, and there was Bernie with a few
stateside stations calling him up a kHz or so. But Bernie didn't seem to
be
hearing them, and he was telling Europe to standby (NA Only!) as his
sunrise
was approaching in just a few minutes. But he wasn't saying he was
listening
up. So I dropped my call three times on his frequency and he came right
back,
No. 265 in the bag. He peaked 579 on the Mideast Beverage.

Then I headed for the sack. Guess I should have hung around a bit more
though; I saw on DX Summit this morning that YK1AO was QRV later Sunday
night, and I need that one too! Anyone know if he is QRV every weekend,
or
was there a guest op there for the contest?

Made it up for sunrise but it was a bust. Heard W4ZV and others
apparently
calling XZ1N just after my sunrise, but nil hr.

73/Jon AA1K