TopBand: ZL8RS

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: ZL8RS
From: 100374.252@compuserve.com (J & AJ Robertson)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 06:16:27 -0400
Bob was on from 0935z 15July but cndx vy poor and his siganls were 25 - 30
db down with me.  He leaves the Island at 1830z  and is hoping for a quiet
trip to catch up sleep.   For those who asked me about the ZL beacons they
are GPS correction transmissions for fishing boats  No.1 on 1817khz
operates from just North of Napier on the East Coast of the North Island.
No2 on1819khz  (LSB Freq's) is located on a 1500ft hill above Wellington
City. Both run at least 1KW out to half wave slopers which are almost
vertical & transmit 2 - 3 second bursts of digital signal ( Like Amtor in
sound ) with short gaps between 24 hours daily.  Good beacons for DX
stations but real QRM generators for ZL and VK.  73 fellows c u on the best
band sometime soon.  Jim ZL2JR.