TopBand: Update: 1830-1840 KHz QRM

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Update: 1830-1840 KHz QRM
From: k5ot@flash.net (L Hammel)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 20:06:45 +0000
I just got off the phone with the engineer responsible for the "edge of
the broadcast band" gate information transmitters at Dallas-Ft Worth
airport.  The airport transmits gate information on two frequencies:
1640 KHz for departing gate info and 1680 KHz for arrivals.  Both
transmitters are licensed up to 60W but are actually running about
30W to a loaded vertical.  Seems like a parasitic from the 1680 KHz
machine is one of the culprits in the +/- 1835 KHz range.

The engineer (a ham) was pleased to hear the feedback and said
he is sending a tech out to the site this afternoon.  Failure may be due

to the heat around here ... the 2+ weeks of 100 degree F weather is
probably the culprit, and the small muffin fan at the transmitter
box is pulling in very HOT air, to be sure.  If they can't fix it
quickly,
they'll "pull the plug".

Please send me any further SWL reports (on the parasitics only, please)
so I can pass them along.  I won't do drift nets, however.

73,
Larry K5OT