TopBand: EWEs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: EWEs
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 08:11:40 +0000
To: <topband@contesting.com>
> Date:          Wed, 01 Apr 1998 06:05:58 -0500 (EST)
> From:          W2pm <W2pm@aol.com>

> vertical.  On 160 and higher the incoming waves are at higher angles so thats
> where I fail to understand why ground conductivity would have much affect on
> performance at 160 meters.
>
> Pete, W2PM

Hi Pete,

I've had many Beverages in marsh land (VERY wet rich deep black dirt,
30 mS/ m) and very poor dirt, and they worked the same as over poor
dirt near as I could tell.

I've even laid wires down below their lengths, and they kept right on
working.

When I tried an EWE over poor ground, it didn't work at all. It
worked fine over a ground screen, but wasn't worth the work.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com