TopBand: EWEs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: EWEs
From: W2pm@aol.com (W2pm)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 06:05:58 EST
Can anyone explain whether a "Beverage" on 1.8 mhz is really a classic,
textbook Beverage or just a low longwire?  The reason why I ask is this issue
of poor ground vs good ground relative to apparent ham band performance.  The
way I understand the Beverage  antenna theory is poor ground is required to
cause a tilting of the inbound wave in order to induce a voltage on the wire.
This was based on the fact that the Beverage's were intended for LF and VLF
reception (600 meters and down) where the incoming wave incidence is nearly
vertical.  On 160 and higher the incoming waves are at higher angles so thats
where I fail to understand why ground conductivity would have much affect on
performance at 160 meters.

Pete, W2PM