TopBand: EWEs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: EWEs
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 06:58:12 -0500
>From Phil YB0ARA/9 regarding his experience with EWE's.  I must add that he
has been hearing EXTREMELY well the past few weeks!  73,  Bill  W4ZV

"Just got off the topband reflector.  Interesting on the EWE write up.  The
first quote is actually mine !  I agree with most that is said.  I have now
finished winding the last two (2) matching transformers and weather proofed
the terminating resistor boxes as well.  Also got the rest of the vertical
done today at lunch time, being on a diet gives you more time to do these
type of things !

Point of all this is rain and more rain, lot's of rain.  We got rain !  The
ground is so wet under the first EWE it is hard to walk on.  That's why I
also went and re-worked the other antennas as well.  The "output" of my EWE
is so strong that most of the time I don't even run the pre-amp in the
FT-1000 !  I do feed it with hard-line and the run is only 75 feet or so, I
just expected a lot less signal !  It's got to be the ground.  When, and
if, it ever dries out for a week or two I should be able to confirm that.
 The rest of the EWE's (3 more) go up this weekend if all goes well and I
don't get rained out again.  I can then check the front to back and
different other qualities of the EWE as well.  Last night I again was
hearing USA stations, very weak, but solid copy.  I have been working in
the shack on the EWE's for the weekend, so I have not jumped in to see if
the states are still coping me.  Maybe after I finish everything.  Do I
recommend the EWE, only if you can't put up a beverage.  They work for me
and it is an improvement, I really think you need a farm of beverages,
EWE's and shielded loop's with a good switching network to cover all the
bases !  By the way, the communications group came up with more ground rods
and clamps for this weekend, one of them is working out the total weight of
the copper I have in the ground around my house !  Should be interesting to
see what he comes up with.  See you on the band."