TopBand: 9M0C & QRN - some hints

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 9M0C & QRN - some hints
From: Rolf_Salme@compuserve.com (Rolf T Salme)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 07:18:29 -0500
I can fully appreciate the heavy QRN problem faced by the operators at 9M0C,
having been at the "receiving end" myself as XV7SW on Top Band.

In this kind of tropical QRN, each QRN bang often lasts long enough to mask
a callsign completely, when callers use QRQ. From the DX end you may just
understand that somebody is there and call QRZ?, but the same thing will
happen again at the next bang, the next one - and the next and so on, if the
speed is too high.

So I found it tremendously helpful when people reduced the speed. Once you
are able to pick out a letter here and there, you may be able to paste
together a full callsign and eventually make it.

Someone may say that QRS is a waste of time - maybe so, but it is even more a
waste of time for the DX station to listen to a QRQ call 15-20 times and
never make it at all.

>From the DX's side, sending QRQ can probably be applied all the time, since
reception is probably better at the other end. However, when you yourself as
a DX use high speed, I often found it hard to convince people back home that
only they should reduce the speed. No pun intended, but QRQ from the DX end
can at times send the wrong signal.

So please try some QRS+QRQ with 9M0C, it could be worth the extra time - at
both ends!

73 de
Rolf
SM5MX, XV7SW (I am still keeping the license)