TopBand: Skewing

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Skewing
From: N5JA@contesting.com (Jon Barclay N5JA)
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 21:50:13 -0600
Greetings from East Texas.

Earlier this evening I was tuning around on 160 about 01:45Z found
UU4JMG.  He was peaking S5 on the vertical (yeah, below the noise
level here most of the time), but was Q5 on the 40-degree Beverage.
I spent about 10 minutes trying to work him, and he came back to JA,
but could never get my call.

About 02:15 I found him again, but to my surprise I could only hear
him on the 60-degree Beverage.  I did manage to work him that time.

Just before I left the shack for dinner at 02:30 I tuned back by
and now he was fair copy on the 90-degree Beverage, and best on the
120-degree Beverage!

EA8ZS was 20-something over S9 around 02:00, but when I worked him
at around 02:20 he sounded like backscatter, and was best on the
120-degree Beverage also.

I've seen ON4UN in years past become first audible on the 90, then
be best on the 60, and later best on the 40 or 20-degree Beverages;
I've never noticed it swinging the other way, though.

Is this due to the disturbed geomagnetic conditions?  I guess I'm
going to have to pay more attention... the indices were all zeroes
and such when I left for the shack this afternoon, and I see the
lastest numbers are:
   SFI=100, A= 34, K= 6, LOW/QUIET-MAJSTM;LOW/UNSET-MNRSTM
so maybe that explains it.

Things just sounded too weird-- I think I'll go back and see what
turns up!

73,
Jon

--