TopBand: annoying 800 hz tone on 1840

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: annoying 800 hz tone on 1840
From: N7CKD.ennis@mcleodusa.net (dennis g. peterson)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 06:50:57 -0600
Hi all;  I have been plagued with an annoying 800 hz tone on 1840 for
several months now, and everything I try doesn't seem to fix the probvlem.
  I have called the power company and they sugguseted that I call the ham
at the local radio station as he is the operations manager there and he
might be able to help me.    It seems to be coming from an East or West
direction.  I have a 4 turn electro-static shielded loop in the shack that
I can rotate and when I do it is nulled through the loop but is at least
an S9 end on.  Anyone have any ideas as to what might produce an 800 hz
tone?

I thought it might be my computer as it is located in the shack within 5
feet of the transceivers etc.   However; upon powering down all of the
computer and fax equipment it is still there.  I thought it might even
be the DSS satelite dish system, but upon powering it all off it is still
present too.  I have virtually turned off everything in the house to
ascertain that it was not radiating from within the QTH.   If anyone
has an idea as to what may be causing this please let me know.   It's
alright to respond to the reflector as others may be experiencing the
same problem.   Maybe it's not only here in Eastern Iowa, it might
be elsewhere here too.   I'm located in Muscatine, Iowa and I might
also add that I live within 3.5 blocks of the local hospital, and I'm
directly across the street from a complex for the elderly.  I'm also less
than a mile from the local radio station and approximately 7 blocks
from an industrial factory "The H J Heinz Company.

Looking forward to some followup comments and help on this matter

De N7CKDennis in IOWA