TopBand: inverted-L versus dipole

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: inverted-L versus dipole
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 06:33:02 +0800
Dear Tom,

I tried, I really tried, but my QTH still stinks for verticals.  My angle is
that if I can't get close to performance of a bent dipole at 50' with an
inverted-L and the inconvenience of 50 radials at 8' high running all over
the major portion of the back end of the block (in an 80' x 100' square
configuration, complete with perimeter wire), then maybe the location just
don't suit them and I am beating my head against a brick wall.

Maybe there are others out there doing the same - beating their heads
against a brick wall and building bigger and bigger earth systems.

I have no argument that verticals should be better than horizontals in most
QTHs if they are properly installed -  I had one in the UK where they worked
'gang busters.'  Believe me, my latest version was properly installed, it
just don't work as well as my dipole.

Hope you are keeping well and those scorpions are leaving you alone.

73,

Steve, VK6VZ
PS Next winter, I'll increase the earth system to 100 radials and try again...