TopBand: W3LPL 4-Square vs Beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: W3LPL 4-Square vs Beverages
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 18:52:31 -0400 (EDT)
At 16:58 W5PS wrote:

>     Rich, the only part of your story that confused me was:
>

>     "The NW vertical almost always outperformed the 4-Square to JA on
transmit
>     and receive."
>
>     Does Frank also have a single Vertical that he uses to the NW which
>     outperforms the 4-square on TX and RX? That sounds too good to be true.
>
>     Peter

Frank's 4-square works best to Europe since there are no other towers
to interfere with it in that direction.  It also works fairly well to
the SE quadrant, but has to look through many big towers to the SW and
NW.  BTW, I always used Beverages when I operated the CQ 160 CW there
last January because the QRN was terrible due to the big storms over the
Midwest.  The score would have been way down if only the 4-square were
used on receive, and the phased Beverage system worked very well under
horrible QRN conditions.  Frank has some other 1/4 wave GP's which are
better transmit antennas to the W/NW and S since they have a clearer shot
in those directions.

73,  Bill  W4ZV