TopBand: inverted-L versus dipole

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: inverted-L versus dipole
From: n7ex@athenet.net (Dave_K9NX)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:25:31 +0000
At 09:34 AM 10/20/97 +0000, w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net wrote:

>Listening to DX since 1963 on 160, the outstanding signals always
>been from verticals. Not that low horizontals can't be heard, they
>can be. Just not as well.
>
>73, Tom W8JI

On average I would agree with Tom's assesment. The best answer however is
if you have the room is to do BOTH a vertical (or inverted L) antenna as
well as a low dipole. There are a few openings each season which due to to
what ever quirk of nature you care to hypothosize about, where the low
horizontal (diploe) performs better. Not many openings mind you..but a few.
If you only have room for one antenna then a vertically polarized antenna
is the way to go ( on average).

Dave
K9NX (ex N7EX, N0DH)