TopBand: 160 meters in China??

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160 meters in China??
From: CRICHTON_MELVIN_J@LILLY.COM (MEL)
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 13:48:41 +0000 (GMT)
I plan to be in Shanghai in July... rotten 160 weather for us here in
Northern Hemisphere.

There's a small chance that my chinese operating permit will arrive
before July ("it's in the mail... have we heard that before?"). However,
regs say I can't operate my own station from China.

But, once I get there I will try to operate a bit from BY4SZ in
Suzhou. The club trustee there has indicated that the club would welcome
donations. If it looks like they have enough real eastate (they are at a
sports stadium) I will try to get them thinking about Top Band.

Other stations that would permit my operating are BY4SJX and BY4STU...
but they have not yet replied to my requests.

things I need to know from you folks:

1. What's the Chinese regs regarding Top Band operation (don't think I
will operate top band... maybe 40 CW... but is it worth my time to talk
160 to them?)...

2. Anybody got spare gear that we can donate in the name of Topband
Reflector? I think I'll assess the situation first, and then freight it
to them... let them worry about import... the Chinese Radio Sport
Association says that duties won't be levied for ham radio contributions.
But I'm not taking the chance.

3. Joe... N0IAT in Taipei... met you at Dayton... if you have any advice,
let me know... tried to get back around to you on Saturday but ran outta time.

Mel KJ9C