TopBand: 160M Contests

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160M Contests
From: w8jitom@worldnet.att.net (Tom Rauch (W8JI))
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 13:52:25 -0500
John Mitchell wrote:

> So, let's focus our energy on one goal that addresses the real problem,
> instead of debating several controversial proposals that can only spread our
> energies thin and result in inertia, I say.  Let's get the ARRL to work with
> the FCC to structure 160 so the US operators keep phone above 1840, and we
> won't have to worry about the Phone contests taking out weak signal work
> anymore!

Hi John,

This will turn into another east coast/ rest of the country fight again.

In the 70's, after the LORAN moved, I petetioned the FCC to segment 160.
At that time I was well acquainted with several people in the FCC's
amateur bureau, and even built amplifiers for several of them. They made
it clear in no uncertain terms the FCC would segment 160, but it would
take a request from the ARRL. They also mentioned that the band could
have been returned to unrestricted amateur use long before it was, if
the ARRL would have been interested enough to apply any pressure for its
full return.

The ARRL refused to endorse the proposal, stating their policy was no
new bands would have CW only segments. Since then, all the WARC bands
have been given CW restricted segments. The ARRL is (and has been) out
of touch with 160 for years. You only need look at their band plan to
see that.

We certainly need a CW only segment, and I will support it (especially
if it is from 1800-1850, with a segment for digital), but it will take a
unified effort by all to move the ARRL away from its Ivory Tower view of
the band.

They let us down once, I'm afraid they will do it again.

73 Tom