TopBand: 160M Contests

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160M Contests
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 15:53:26 EST
I have to thank Dave, N4SU,  for bringing the issue in to the open. The
160M reflector is the proper place to discuss the issue.  I too have been
"shot down" in private E-Mail to Herr Administrator....and disagree with
his overly protectionist attitude about this list.

Open, and unhindered discussion is very much a part of the American
culture. I'm sorry if a very small minority elsewhere does not agree or
has to pay high connect charges. That is a personal problem, not the
group as whole. The reflector is in the USA....plain and simple. The
contests under discussion are USA  sponsored   again...plain and simple.
I hope I'm making a point thru some concrete-headed  type attitudes. I
have no interest in subscribing to any other list to discuss this....160M
issues belong here....period.

Do many of you really expect an accurate representation of 160M operators
feelings based upon a contesters poll?  That's worse than even Washington
type politics! Lets get back to the basic fox in the chicken coop idea
here.

Since Dave will be gone for 3 weeks I suggest that we keep up an active
discussion until he returns and copy any comments to him also. Non-USA
participation is most welcome and encouraged. This includes VE as my
Canadian wife keeps informing me!

To get the ball rolling I have drafted a letter asking for the
disqualification of W2GD in the 160 CQSSB 160M contest. Many have
discussed this stations operation. My request is based solely on their
placing 2 transmitted signals on the band at the same time. I already
have quite a few asking to sign on the letter. Anyone else please E-mail
me direct.

As far as the future is concerned, I would love to see all SSB contests
eliminated from 160M...or at least limited to 1850 and above.
Taking it a step further, how about eliminating ALL contests from 160?
Similar to the WARC bands ban. The reasoning is that 160M is too fragile
to support this type of disruption during the few prime months that are
available.

The 160m band is broken up into small segments in many countries...not
all have 1800 to 2000KHz. For that reason, a FCC mandated band plan would
be unfair to not only USA operators but to everyone.

Instead of the usual bickering about CW vs SSB in day to day operation, I
feel that we should all start to resolve the contest issue.

Anyone that feels intimidated by Herr Administrator, please send your
comments to me. I will then edit out headers and names and retransmit. No
disrespect meant to W4ZV but I really hate the word "censorship" .  I
will ask, and 100% agree with Bill, that we keep any comments free from
personal attacks, obscenities, etc.  We can accomplish a lot more with a
focused attitude.

73....Carl    KM1H

PS: Anyone wishing to copy this msg to another reflector or DX Cluster,
please do so.