Re: [TenTec] Audio improvements on Argonaut VI

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Audio improvements on Argonaut VI
From: Bob McGraw K4TAX <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 08:25:04 -0500
Carlos et & al:

If you are finding the headphone audio cleaner than the speaker audio, the audio amp which drives the headphones and speaker is the same device.  This would seem to indicate the audio amplification is working correctly.

If you have an external speaker plugged into the headphone jack, the headphone jack is isolated via resistors and the AF amp will not drive an external speaker.    Try an amplified speaker such as computer desk top speakers.

The internal speaker itself may be defective thus the source of the distortion you are hearing.

As to the noise, without quantifying, it is hard to say if there is an issue.  Just because it can be heard is no reason to be of concern.  If it covers up weak signals then it is a concern.   A good test is to measure the audio output with a ACVM with no antenna attached, RX input terminated into 50 ohms, RF gain at maximum.  Then attach the antenna on a quiet band such as 10M. You should see a 3 dB to 6 dB increase in noise.  If so, there is no receiver issue.   If antenna noise is 3 dB to 6 dB above receiver noise then you will hear any weak signals on the band.

Unless the radio is defective, any artifacts which you describe and under the conditions you apply are likely design related. Just because noise can be heard in the audio is no indication of any defects or design related issues.      I do not know of any Tentec approved modification to correct any of your concerns.

In the comparison with the two radios on my desk, a Tentec Eagle and an Elecraft K3S, with the RX input terminated and using headphones, RF gain at minimum and AF Gain at maximum, I hear a small amount of hiss from both radios.  With AF Gain at minimum, a very slight amount of digital noise is heard.  In both cases, the settings are far from normal operating conditions.

I do not have an Argonaut VI on the desk at present as mine is on loan to a friend.   In this regard,  have done a significant amount of the beta testing, being a member of the Tentec beta test team for firmware for the Omni VII, Eagle, and Argonaut VI radios.  In doing so, I find no operational conditions which are deemed a fault of design or manufacturer of the products when operated under normal conditions.

73

Bob, K4TAX