Re: [TenTec] Zepp?

To: John King <k5pgw@yahoo.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Zepp?
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 13:23:34 -0400

On 9/14/2014 12:23 PM, John King via TenTec wrote:
I can't believe that anyone who calls himself would call the described antenna
a Zepp.

I take it you are thinking of the old End Fed Zepp, while
he may be thinking of the Extended Double Zepp, and
shortened it for convenience to merely, "Zepp." -- and the
Double Extended Zepp is more in the nature of a doublet
doublet, than a traditional End Fed Zepp.

My only academic question, is whether the feed line is considered
part of the antenna, or is acting only as a transmission line.   I presume
it radiates as part of the antenna anyplace beyond the last or farthest-
placed balun/unun/transformer/ thingy.     I have presumed he called
it a Zepp because he recognizes the open line radiates, and was including
it as part of the radiating antenna - as opposed to treating it as only feed line
to a doublet, which would account for why he called it a Zepp - [see the
definition of a Double Extended Zepp below. ]

[The locution "thingy" is defined in the "People's Regular Guy
Lexicon of Bogus Fudge Phrases", Page x...  ]         ;-)

ARRL Antenna Book,  22d Ed, Section 9.1.4, Page 9-5 --

Shows an "End Fed Zepp" - which is a single horizontal element, fed with window line such that the element is fed with one side of the window line in a vertical orientation, and the other side of the window line parallels it, but terminates at the point where the other side meets the horizontal element. This entire assembly is the antenna.

ARRL Antenna Book,  22d Ed, Section 9.1.4, Page 9-12-4 --

Shows a "Extended Double Zepp" which is depicted as having two Inverted-L elements, such that the vertical elements are parallel, and the horizontal elements are opposed to each other on a 180 degree basis. The entire assembly is the antenna.

The first type, the End Fed Zepp, is what you describe, as an end fed inverted L, with 2 parallel vertical elements and only one horizontal element. The only difference is the Extended Double Zepp is that the one side is a mirror image of the other and each side element is equally as long.

Just MY take.