Re: [TenTec] Zepp?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Zepp?
From: Don Jones <ko7i@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 06:44:09 -0700
Gosh I think I just beat a hornet's nest with my 10 lb balun... HI HI.
I did not go into a lot of details because this topic is a bit "off topic" for this forum. I did not give a lot of thought to balun selection when I grabbed that 4:1 balun and installed it. I will give the 1:1 version of the DX Engineering balun that I have on hand a try today. I have tried a CM choke with 10 or so large fair rite beads slipped over a 24 inch long piece of RG-213. The beads are about 1.25" long and 1" in dia (or so). Please do not bug me about the core numbers, I do not know as the duct tape has pealed off the labels. Anyways with that CM choke at the feed point of the 4:1 balun, it did not help either. From the sounds of things, that was my mistake right there. I should have connected the CM directly to the ladder line. My bad.
K4TAX is correct about the MFJ 929 tuner not having a balanced output.
I only use the 34ft doublet on 20M and above - but it does "tune-up" on 30M. I have a very nice pair of qtr wave verticals for 80 & 40 meters. Regarding the 12 ft coax cable the measured VF is .66. I used a spectrum analyzer and tracking generator to measure the VF of the coax off this reel of cable. I am well aware of the potential folly of using something close to a 1/4 wavelength and did so deliberately to get the antenna to play "nicer" by deliberately jacking up the Z the tuner would see. My dirty sleazy trick worked. Sounds like something an EMC engineer would do - oh yea - I am one! HI HI As far as for which band I was on when the MFJ 929 locked up, I believe it was 15M. The week before last I was attempting to quickly slap something together to play in the CWO contest that ran Friday and Saturday. I would like to be able to place the tuner at, or very near the feed point of the balun. It would be interesting to see what a real network analyzer has to say about that mess of an antenna I was trying to use. But then my director of engineering would not be to pleased with me dragging home a $50,000 network analyzer. I guess I will settle for what my MFJ 259 (non A, B, or C) says. Guys, once again thanks for the input, I will install the 1:1 balun and report back in this afternoon.
VY 73, Don KO7i