Re: [TenTec] Reasons to buy an OM7 instead of an Eagle

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Reasons to buy an OM7 instead of an Eagle
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 10:29:46 -0700
On 7/10/2014 7:07 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
I can hear a -121 dBm signal equally and quite well on each one.

Every radio I've used on 6M has needed a preamp in a quiet location, with the exception of the new KX3. The K3 is pretty deaf until you add an outboard preamp. I bought an ARR GasFET preamp when I still lived in Chicago to use with an ICOM 746, and I'm now using it with my K3 at the RX patch point. On a good day (little or no local noise in the direction of my antenna), I can hear well below -121 dBm.

A good test to determine whether you need a preamp is to look at the RX noise voltage with AGC off and no antenna connected, then add the antenna. If the RX noise voltage does not increase by 10 dB, a preamp will help you hear weaker signals. Obviously, that test takes your local noise into account.

73, Jim K9YC