Re: [TenTec] re Orion II thoughts

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] re Orion II thoughts
From: "n4dsp" <n4dsp@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:58:45 -0500
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
> Hi John,
>
> tell ur friend Paul the reason for the failures in the later 1000 yaesu
> rigs
> has nothing to do with the 200 w. PA or its design--in fact the mosfets
> used
> are extremely robust--the problem has to do with the Class A feature, and
> the lack of knowledge amongst some of the operators with regard to how to
> operate with it.

Hi Rob,

Paul is not my "friend". My dealings with him were from
a professional level. I sent a Mark V to him to have it
possibly repaired and as it turned out the rig was
retired to the junk pile.

Rob, here is his address. This will allow you to tell him
yourself!

Paul Hansen, W6XA Amateur Radio Service Icom Service Center Southeast
1140 Watkins Road Anderson, SC 29625 (864) 222-3539

Why they fail or how they fail I did not elaborate. That was not
my intention. As my email and post stated most of the repair jobs
for Paul is due to the PA finals. If this is due to persons not reading
the manual or a design and communication problem unrelated to
the robustness of the PA mosfets so be it. The problem still remains.

I had a Mark V and enjoyed the use of the 200watt PA. In
fact I never and I mean never used my amp again having that
power in the Mark V. Since I no longer have the Mark V but now
use an Orion II the need for my Centurian amp is there.
But thanks for the explanation that you gave. It is insightful and now
raises more questions to be answered by Yaesu.

73
john-n4dsp