[TenTec] re Orion II thoughts

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] re Orion II thoughts
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 19:18:47 +0000
<<<On my list of "shoulda" for the Orion II is that it be a 200w rig. I like to
be barefoot on CW and digital except for tough ones.>>>

that's not likely to happen. Most TT customers don't seem to want it. In order to appreciate a 200 w. PA you have to own a rig that has it, and that means getting a non Ten Tec rig. I used to wonder what was so wonderful about 200 w., until I got a Yaesu 1000 mp Mk V and learned for myself. Now I would not consider a 100 w. rig. For TT, 200 w. presents other production problems: They would not be able to use one PA for all their rigs including the Jupiter and probably the Omni 7. They would have to make and sell another power supply. Ten Tec seems to like to make and sell as few accessories as possible, and use the same circuits across rigs whenever possible. For example, I believe the IF filters in the Orion 1 were the same as what they used in the Omni 6. So, you'll probably never see a 200 w. PA in a Ten Tec rig, unless things reach the point where there's overwhelming customer demand for one, and 200 w. is actually more desirable for ssb operators, and TT's customers seem to be mostly cw ops.

rob / k5uj