[TenTec] Orion Aux I/O Audio Problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Aux I/O Audio Problem
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:46:39 -0500
Here is a description of the MainRX / SubRX audio interaction that is
evident on my Orion:

Orion S/N 02C01874
F/W level:  1.371

Symptom:
        Running RTTY using audio from pin 4 (left) audio out of Aux I/O
DIN connector
        As SubRX volume is increased, audio from main RX as indicated on
HAL DXP38 indicator decreases
                - by time volume on SubRX equals MainRX, signal is
virtually gone on Pin 4 audio
                - mute or volume lowered restores full signal level
                - adjusting SubRX volume up causes MainRX signal on pin 4
to decrease
                - adjusting SubRX passband or bandwidth does not affect
this problem
        Audio Menu:
                - Left:   (any setting)
                - Right: (any setting)
                - Spkr: Both  <-  this appears to be the key parameter
        Plugging headsets in improves the situation only slightly -
negligible.

Work Around:  Set Audio Menu | Spkr to Main or Sub. Solves audio to Pin
4, but eliminates copy of both on speaker.

Problem is caused when Spkr is set to Both.  Unfortunately, I run RTTY
with the speaker, and would want to listen to the SubRX on other bands
while still copying RTTY on the MainRX, so this is a severe limitation of
use of the 2nd RX while RTTY contesting.  Hopefully this can be fixed.

        73,  Duane