[SECC] Antenna improvements (Was: NAQP)

Subject: [SECC] Antenna improvements (Was: NAQP)
From: halken at comcast.net (Hal Kennedy)
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 08:09:16 -0400
Chrisman also did a study of that very question Dennis.  The results
were published in NCJ about a year ago.  There are two factors at work -
ground conductivity (efficiency) and the strength of the reflected ray
off the water.

Getting optimum efficiency from the vertical for ground mounted radials
can occur a significant distance from the water - it simply depends on
the conductivity of the ground.  A low flat sandy island typically has
good conductivity significant distances from the water (think Jamaica).
Meanwhile, a coral atoll where the "shoreline" is actually a coral cliff
(PJ2T, PJ4, HP1XX) will have poor ground conductivity just a foot or two
- horizontally - from the water's edge, although you may be 30 feet
above the water vertically.

There is typically another 3 DB of gain to be had from the reflected ray
in the direction of the water vs. the direction of the land, if you put
a vertical at the water's edge (salt water - not fresh water).  This is
why team vertical puts their antennas on the beach at a point where
there is a water shot to the US for the ARRL DX contest.  Chrisman's
analysis shows this effect disappears quickly with distance from the
shoreline.  It starts to dissipate at less than 1/2 wavelength from the
shoreline and is all but completely gone at a distance of 1.5
wavelengths.

One more consideration - folks have been cutting 1/4 wave radials for
years to put on or in the ground.  The velocity factor of wire on or in
the ground is around .5 to .6 and I hate to think of all the so-called
1/4 wave radials that are closer electrically to 1/2 wave.  Once you get
elevated radials up 10 or 15 feet the velocity factor is very close to
1.

For serious installations of ground-placed radial fields - up around 30
radials or more - the "concentric ring" method will provided identical
results for only about half the amount of wire - although that style
radial field is more work to construct.  I can send you the reference to
that if you like - the paper is too big to go through this reflector.

The easiest way to improve the performance of a ground mounted vertical
in a neighborhood setting is to make it too long, then tune the
reactance out at the base with a series capacitor to get it back to a
reasonable SWR.  This moves the current maximum from the ground up
higher on the antenna - hopefully above the shrubs, houses and such.
This is band-dependent of course.  It's easy to do on 160 - and not
possible on 10, although for higher bands like 10 some shrewd guys have
gone to 5/8 wave ground mounted verticals with good results.  The 160
ground mounted vertical here is a 75 foot vertical with a double set of
very large T-tops.  It is self resonant at 1.2 MHz and works very well -
the current maximum is quite high off the ground.  It's matched to r50
j0 ohms at the ground with a simple L network.

73,
Hal
N4GG