[SECC] Winning SS

Subject: [SECC] Winning SS
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 21:10:03 -0400
On Oct 1, 2006, at 9:56 PM, Tommy wrote:

> I've already put up a 2 el 40m quad which turned out to
> be an excellent dummy load, most likely because I was radiating
> partially into the feedline!

Did you put any current baluns on those antennas? They can help limit
feedline radiation.

> Fortunately I do have ONE spot where I can move my 80m dipole so it's
> pointed into W8/W9 land and on 80 and 40m puts out a lobe that pretty
> much covers the US.

Just remember the most important dimension for a horizontal antenna
is the height above ground in wavelengths. If that 80m dipole isn't
higher than about 1/4 wavelength, then it won't really have a
broadside pattern, so it would be hard to "point".

> Ambitious plans this close to contest time!

Ah, but the pressure really inspires one to action!

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901