[SECC] Winning SS

Subject: [SECC] Winning SS
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 21:37:59 -0400
On Oct 2, 2006, at 9:49 PM, brian wilcox wrote:

> 1000 q's generally show around  2 to 3 am (local). I will try to go
> longer this year as the rate @ 3 to 4am is better than it is 7 or
> 8am. The rate Sunday mornings are close to some of the worse late
> Sunday afternoon hourly totals. POOR.

This is interesting. I wonder if anyone has a theory as to why this
might be.

I've had a little different experience, doing a semi-serious
operation in SS Phone, Low Power. Around 2-3 am, the rate will really
take a dive, but if I wait until dawn, things pick up.

I think it depends on how effective your station is on 80m. I only
have compromise antennas on 80m, so it's hard to run until way late
when things thin out. It's easier at dawn, when I can move up to 40m.

> You have to call CQ.

Any advice on this for low-power ops? On phone, it is often extremely
difficult to find a place to CQ. Even with a clear frequency,
sometimes I call for minutes at a time without any callers.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901