[SECC] More in common than different

Subject: [SECC] More in common than different
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 21:12:17 -0400
On Oct 1, 2006, at 12:30 PM, Jeff wrote:

> With
> the CQWW and SS only weeks away, lets focus on that.  I'd like to
> hear what
> new antennas whet up recently and how they are performing.

Hmm. SS is only a month away. I need to get busy!

Here's my plan:

1) I have a 115 foot doublet at 35 feet fed with open wire. It's been
up for several years now, but recently it has been giving me a
problem -- the SWR shifts radically when transmitting more than a few
watts.

I'm not sure what's wrong, so I have two ideas:

a) Rewind the remote balun. Theory is that there's arcing taking
place between the bifilar winding of the balun. Instead of a Guanella
design, I may shift to a W1JR design, which uses teflon coax instead
of twisted wires.

b) Replace the untuned doublet with a 80/40m trap dipole. Coaxial
traps are pretty easy to design and build. I'm already using them in
my 30/17m inverted V.

2) K2 has provision for a receive antenna. I plan a K9AY loop to be
temporarily mounted over a small tree in my yard. There have been
times when calling CQ on Phone that I have had trouble hearing the
callers. I'm hoping the loop will help out on 40m and 80m.

3) It's not really for SS, but I have enough wire to put down four
more 100 foot radials on the shunt. Need to get that down before the
ARRL 160m.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901