[SECC] Dunwoody Antenna

Subject: [SECC] Dunwoody Antenna
From: k9ay at k9ay.com (K9AY)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:03:05 -0500
For what it's worth...

>From 1985-1996, I lived in suburban Denver (now the city of Centennial), a
typical 'burb of modest tri-level and 4-level homes.

While living there, I had 65 feet of Rohn 25 with a tribander and
shorty-forty beam. Yes, during that time I had couple neighbors who hated
the tower, but nearly all the others up and down the street were extremely
nice and undisturbed by the tower's presence.

My main point is that during the time we lived there, EVERY house
immediately adjacent or across the street was sold at least once (about 12
or 13 sales) -- and ALL of them sold quickly and at full market value, even
when the real estate market was weak.  The neighborhood was conveniently
located, with good schools and affordable houses -- apparently, these things
are far more important for property values than ham radio towers.

Story #2 -- When we moved from Grayson to here in Wisconsin, we decided to
rent a house to avoid rushing into a real estate purchase. We found a house
where the landlords had split the property and built a new house. Of course,
when we moved in, there was a big pile of tower and aluminum and I explained
to the landlord that I was a ham operator. When I went to their door a month
later with the next rent check, he asks, "So when you gonna put up the
tower?" That's my kind of landlord -- and next-door neighbor, to boot!

73, Gary
K9AY