[SECC] Possible Addition to Officer List of SECC

Subject: [SECC] Possible Addition to Officer List of SECC
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Fri Oct 22 16:29:43 2004
Hi Neal:

Recently, Ed, K4SB, and I have been trying to get the W4AN call assigned
to SECC as a club call.  You may recall that SECC had the NR4X call that
had been issued to the Paulding County Contest Club.  We transferred
that call back to the Paulding County Contest Club and we are now in
communication with Bill Fisher's mother and believe we will be able to
get Linda's consent to the W4AN call being assigned to SECC.  This has
caused us to have to get signatures of "club officers" on several FCC
forms.  This caused us to look at the Constitution and By-Laws and they
show that we have only three officers:  President (K4EA), Vice President
(K4BAI), and Secretary (AA4LR).  It has occurred to us that it might be
difficult to get two of the three signatures at some time in the future,
so that we might want to have a fourth officer.  I think that it is for
this reason that a number of corporations have an Assistant Secretary.

Although the by-laws do not call for a treasurer, we have had a
treasurer in the past.  Nancy, NK4U, was named treasurer shortly after
the club was founded.  Since the original concept by W4AN was that there
would be no dues, the by-laws didn't provide for a treasurer.  However,
the Dixie DXers Contest Club (W4KZ) gave to SECC the balance left it its
treasury when it folded up.  My recollection is that this was about
$200.00.  Nancy was at that time the treasurer of SEDXC and we asked her
to also be treasurer of SECC also.  My idea at the time was that we
would have expenses to pay for the Georgia QSO Party.  Thanks to the
generosity of Jere, KT4ZB, and others we haven't actually incurred the
expenses I had expected.  In 2000, the club voted to donate the money in
the treasury to the WRTC 2000 group in Slovenia.  Since that time, the
club hasn't had any money as such and Nancy is also no longer the
treasurer of SEDXC (That position now belongs to Harry, W4KJ.)

We do still have some call to handle money.  The volunteer in charge of
plaques for the QSO Parties usually collects money himself and I have
been taking up the money for the plaque that SECC sponsors for the NAQPs
each year.  A treasurer could do that chore (or not).  In any case, it
seemed to me and Ed a good idea to amend the by-laws to provide for a
Treasurer, who would be elected at the same time as the other officers.
  We have been considering that the officers serve from August 1 to
August 1, although the by-laws are not clear on that, simply providing
that there will be an annual election in August of each calendar year.
Maybe we should amend that part as well since there are no major
hamfests that I know of in Georgia in August.  We could provide that
officers serve from August 1 to August 1 and that the election would
take place before August 1.

Anyway, adding a Treasurer, a recognized title of an officer, would give
us another person to sign in case two of our three other officers were
on vacation or otherwise unavailable in the future.  Please let me know
what you think of this proposal.  I think Ed will draft a suggestion
unless you have an objection that we should consider.

73,

John, K4BAI.