RTTY QRM (was: RE: [SECC] Re:JARTS)

Subject: RTTY QRM (was: RE: [SECC] Re:JARTS)
From: Matt at HiWAAY.net (Matt Lee, K4AQ)
Date: Mon Oct 18 16:35:54 2004

...or a CW contest every weekend?

> It sure seems like it lately.

Wish there were even more, hi.

BTW, quite a few (well-known) contesters have tried RTTY contesting
lately for the first time and are liking it.

> I sure would be nice if the activity didn't stray below 050
> or so. There were
> stations at 030 on Friday night limiting the operating space
> for any CW contests that were going on....

That would be ideal but not practical under the present rules.

For example, what about the QRO stns that QRM the "QRP freqs?" I don't
hear the QRP'ers making an issue of that.

Or the CW stns who move into the "digital bands (more than just RTTY)"
in major contests? I have seen digital stns comment about the QRM among
themselves but not in an open forum.

Before I began contesting for the first time less than three years ago,
I was actively involved with public service communications, e.g., ARES,
NTS, MARS, CAP (including the "old" Civil Defense during high school). I
planned my weekend on-the-air activities with QST Contest Corral. If a
major CW contest was scheduled, I operated SSB...and vice versa...that
weekend.

If the contest activity was too much for me to handle, I did something
else. Now, with the WARC bands, I could go there if I wanted to avoid
the contest QRM. Isn't that neat?

<snipped>

--
Matt Lee, K4AQ