[SECC] Questionaire

Subject: [SECC] Questionaire
From: davemoss at mindspring.com (davemoss@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Sep 6 23:14:49 2004
I've submitted electronic applications a couple times in the past, but
I've never actually been included in the membership list, so I may still
be "pending".  Because I haven't been listed on the roster on the web
page, it didn't seem appropriate to post contest scores, so I've just
been reading the mail.

Although maybe a bit premature, here's my response to the questionnaire.

1.  What got you interested in ham Radio?

                My dad was an avid ham, operating as W3WYP and WA6TCO
from the US in the 50's and 60's, then as SV0WF, HS1WF, EL2DT, CN8CX,
W3WYP/DU2, and EL2AD in the 60's and 70's.  Amateur radio was a means
for us to keep in touch at a reasonable cost back in the days when
international phone calls were upwards of $5.00 a minute.

                Having regular schedules with a "DX" station also gave
me some opportunities to work a number of other DX stations who would
call in to say hi to my dad.  Fairly soon I was hooked on DXing.

2.  What is your favorite mode and why?

                I enjoy SSB and RTTY.

                I operated SSB exclusively on schedules with my dad,
largely because it was easier to pass on a lot of info in a short time,
but also so other family members could listen in.

                I got into RTTY with the help and encouragement of one
of my dad's friends, KC2OU (also CN8AT and EL2AT) who was a regular on
RTTY.  I've found RTTY operators to be 100 percent top notch fellows who
are very helpful to beginners.

3. What got you interested in contesting?

                The first contest I worked more than a few contacts in
was the 1984 international DX contest, shortly after putting up my first
beam, a TH6DXX.  As a fledgling DXer I was amazed at being able to work
DXCC and then some in a single day!  I was hooked--mostly as a way to
build the DX totals on each band and mode.

4. What is your favorite contest and why?

                When I still had a beam up, and a reasonably competitive
station, I enjoyed the "big" March and October phone contests and the
ARRL and CQ RTTY contest, as well as the SARTG and BARTG RTTY contests.
These were excellent opportunities to add to DXCC totals, and especially
to chip away at the ones on 40 and 80 needed for 5BDXCC.

                Living in a neighborhood now that has restrictive
covenants that ban towers, I am at best a casual contester, mostly in
the RTTY contests.

                To keep the contesting juices flowing until I find some
land in north Georgia to build on (our youngest just graduated from high
school!), I have gotten involved in Field Day as my biggest contest
effort of the year, along with several other contesters (including
KN6RO, WA2MBP, NE4S, and WB4SQ).  Maybe not a true "contest", but we
have raised yagis for all bands 6m-40m and worked to improve the score
each year.  Number one in Georgia in 2003, and waiting for the results
for 2004 to be announced!

5.  What is your current station line up? Rigs, antennas, etc.

                Kenwood TS-950SDX, AL-82 amp, PK-232 DSP for RTTY, and a
B&W folded dipole antenna for HF phone.

                TS-2000 with rigblaster for PSK-31 and VHF/UHF and
occasional HF phone.

                FT-1000 and Henry 2K console waiting in the closet for a
bigger shack and some REAL contesting!  TH6DXX, Explorer 14, two TA-33s,
A3, and monobanders for 6, 10, 15, 20, and 40 marked for easy assembly
and stored in the shed for "future use", and field day in the meantime.

6. Besides radio, what do you do for fun?

                I enjoy gardening in the spring and summer, and shooting
year around!  I also enjoy listening to Jimmy Buffett while lounging
around the pool, with any other parrotheads.

7.  What do you do for a living?

                Nuclear engineering, focused now on radiological
protection.

8.  What improvements do you plan to make to your station before the CQ
WW SSB contest in Oct 2004?

                Only thing in the mill now for the home station is
getting a DSP-2232 TNC up and running to maybe replace the PK-232DSP for
RTTY.  Also fine-tuning the installation of the Hi-Q mobile HF antenna.

9.  How long have you been licensed?

                I've been licensed for 22 years.  Got the novice ticket
in January 1982, general ticket in March 1982 and Advanced in April
1982.

10.  What part of the hobby do you like the least?

                As far at the things I'm not personally into (not to in
any way detract from those who enjoy these things), I haven't gotten
much enjoyment from message traffic handling, or UHF/microwave.

                Things others do that I find annoying include: (1) the
ham cops trying to police behavior among DXers, who just add immensely
to the problem, (2) nets that purvey themselves as skilled operators,
but who come up on an occupied frequency and QRM their way to a clear
path (guess the "skilled" folks couldn't find the net if it was 2kc's
away from the normal hailing frequency).

Thanks.  Hope to see my name on the roster soon.

Dave KE4UW