[SECC] K4BAI NAQP CW Jan 2004

Subject: [SECC] K4BAI NAQP CW Jan 2004
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Mon Jan 12 11:41:04 2004
Below is my report to the 3830 reflector.  This contest was a lot of fun
and the rate never dropped very much until the last half hour (ending at
0441 UTC) when the hourly rate was down to 66.

I always leave somebody out, but I know I worked or heard the following
SECC related stations:  N4PN, N4GG, WY4Y (this is club call for Neil,
N4EIL), KU8E, K2UFT, AE4Y, N4LR in GA, W4NTI, KA1DWX, K4NO, K4IQJ in AL
and W4OC in SC.  I heard WB6BWZ and worked Kyle, WA4PGM, who was on one
of our teams.  Unheard from the teams were KA9EKJ, NJ8J, KB4KBS, WB4SQ
(but thanks for the score summary, Gary), and AA4LR.  I did not hear
AA4TT, but do have his score summary.  I would like to post a summary of
the scores here soon, so please submit your score to the reflector ASAP.
  W4OC especially, so we can fill out the claimed scores for SECC #1.

Possible new recruits for SECC in addition to N4PN and N4EIL if they are
not already signed up:  W5UX (GA), N4KG (AL), K4VU (AL), N4MHQ (AL).
Billy, N4MHQ, will be outside our 175 mile circle since he is in
Tucaloosa, but he could still be on teams and contribute to CQ Magazine,
WAE, etc. club scores.  KA4NWS (SC).  His XYL, I believe, is also a
contester, KG4NWS.  Also worked:  Steve, K8JQ, who will be at NQ4I next
month for ARRL DX CW and NC7J (Dave, W7FB, NJ4X, NC7W, ex W0MHS, also
active as KD7AEE, op at W7CT, etc.) who will also be coming to NQ4I next
month.

DX worked:  EA1WX (2 bands and the 40 meter QSO was about 2230 UTC),
IT9PPG, EA8CN (very loud on 40).  Good NA country mults:  XE2DX (3
bands), NP3A (3 bands), HK0VGJ (not really in contest, but CQing on 15
and giving only RST and Name, so no real delay to QSO him), ZF2NT, and a
likely pirate FM8EJ.  They haven't issued FM8 callsigns in years and,
when they did, the Ex suffix wasn't used.  They now use FM4 and FM5 and
special contest calls beginning with TO.  The guy tuned up about 500 hz
higher than my 40 meter frequency, called CQ several times, using both a
bug and a hand key, and they moved down to my frequency and called me
and gave his name as Bob.  He sent like an old time commercial op with a
"Lake Erie swing."  I then heard him call and work K4LTA just below my
frequency.  When he was using the hand key (QSK is wonderful), I thought
he might be CM8EJ, which is a possible good call, but using the bug
there is not doubt that he was using FM8EJ.  It isn't a call listed on
QRZ or Buckmaster.  I left it in the log.  I assume Bill, K4LTA , will
do the same.  Still, it is probably a pirate, but an interesting one.

40 meters went long early that that no doubt hurt the QSO total on that
band.  I think the mults weren't hurt much as I got most of the close in
mults between 2230 and 00 UTC before it went too long.  I had pretty bad
power line noise on 10 and 15 (particularly 10) and may have missed a
few possible backscatter QSOs, but those are very difficult with low
power even with a quiet location.  I am 100 miles further away away from
the eastern US stations, which may be an advantage on 20 M, but hurts
possible backscatter QSO totals on 15 and 10.

SO2R would definitely be a help in this contest, for QSYing mults, if
for no other reason.  I responded with an effort to every request for a
QSY and made a few successful ones of my own (but didn't try as many as
I would have with SO2R or with less line noise on 10 and 15).  Make that
every request but one.  Someone requested a second try on 40 after the
first had failed due to long skip and I couldn't even hear him the first
time.  If I had heard him the first time, but he had missed me, I would
have tried again, but the second try seemed like a waste of time to me.
  You could afford to do that the second time with SO2R.

Someone made a comment to me that bears repeating.  We in the SECC will
never work each other if all we do is S&P.  Someone has to stop and CQ.
  So, make an effort to CQ some even if your signal is weak.  I heard
WB6BWZ calling a lot of people, but not calling me, and I could have
worked him if I had found Matt calling CQ.

                     North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   160:   78    30
    80:  205    45
    40:  147    42
    20:  213    49
    15:  115    40
    10:   67    26
Total:  825   232  Total Score = 191,400

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC #1

Comments:

Good conditions.  Much fun.  Thanks for all the QSOs.

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/