[SECC] Field Day

Subject: [SECC] Field Day
From: w4an@CONTESTING.COM (Bill Fisher, W4AN)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 18:56:35 -0400 (EDT)
I operated from my station.  Mostly on SSB.  Mostly running 1500w.  I
believe the last time I operated SSB was now 3 years ago at K1EA's for
CQWW SSB.  I wanted to make sure I could still copy the phone before
WRTC.  Inspite of the poor operating techniques demonstrated by many
calling, I was able to get the rate meter over 250/hr a few times.  Mostly
I could keep it hanging around 200/hr.   In 1996 I was much more practiced
in the art of SSB contesting.  Hopefully I won't let my partner down.

Surprised by the number of young people who called in.  And women.

Amazing how many people would call in and not know who they were
calling.  One exchange during the contest was worth noting...

"Thanks.  Whiskey Four Alpha November"

Him:
"Victor Echo Seven Blah Blah Blah"

"Victor Echo Seven Blah Blah Blah one alpha Georgia"

Him:
"What is your call?"

"Let me explain how this works...  You dial your radio, find a station,
some how figure out if the station has been worked or not.  If not, call
the station with your callsign."

Him:
"I don't need your point"

"Seventy three, QRZ"

I did stop by the W4QQ operation in Dahlonega for a few minutes with
Graeme.  Worked 50 guys or so on the 40M CW station.  Looked like a lot of
fun.  I wish I had made it full time.  Unfortunately, the eHam server went
down Saturday and I had to go back to town to fix it.  So I never made it
back.

73

Bill